Monday, April 6, 2009

Picking An EPL Team

I’ve been watching the English Premier League for several years, ever since I can remember them coming on TV back in the early 90s. I can remember watching Champions League soccer and seeing the likes of Manchester United, Leeds United, Arsenal and other teams battle on the European stage. Then, as the EPL became bigger and more popular, I started watching it more and more. I love the style of play, I love the passion of the fans and I love the intensity of every match. Over time, despite Real Madrid being my favorite soccer team in the world, the EPL has been my favorite league to watch.

Yet, I have never had a team that I really follow in the EPL. I’ve followed players for the most part. Recently, since one of my great friends is a huge Chelsea fan, I’ve found myself following them a bit. But, I’ve never had a team that I can say is my favorite English team. This year, I’m about to change that.

My goal is to pick a team that will be my English team by the end of this season. Over that time, I’m going to watch as many games as possible, as many teams as possible. I’m going to look at the history of teams, the players and how I think they fit with me, and try to finally settle the debate of who is my English team.

So, here’s a look at the choices that I have. I have whittled down some of the teams. I have no problem cheering for one of the Big 4…of course, I’m a Real Madrid fan. But, I will support a winner for the right reasons, not just because they are good. Again, I’m going off history as well as present, former players as well as current players. The only team in the Big 4 that did not make the cut is Liverpool, because I’ve never really liked them (outside of Steven Gerrard), and despite their fruitful history, they’re just a team I don’t think I can get behind. So, the teams I’m looking at are:

Manchester United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Tottenham Hotspur
Newcastle United
Fulham
Aston Villa
Manchester City
Everton
West Ham United

Like I said, by the end of the season, I will have a team picked. How they’re doing in the league this year is not the only factor, as I said. It’s merely one of the factors. I will update you all on my progress of choosing a team as it occurs.

Real Madrid will always be my favorite team. That will never change. If my new English team will ever face Real Madrid, I hope they catch a whipping. But, it will be cool to tune in to games in the EPL week in and week out and have a team to follow. So, get ready, Premiership. One of your teams will have a new supporter.

No comments: